Offender Management in Custody
- Number of Correctional Centres
- Security classifications (explanation)
- Table of NSW Correctional Centres
Number of Correctional Centres
Corrective Services NSW oversees:
- 31 correctional centres - 8 maximum, 13 medium and 10 minimum security facilities;
- 8 periodic detention centres;
- 1 transitional centre for female inmates;
- 65 probation and parole district offices
Corrective Services' priorities in managing correctional centres are to:
- Achieve safe custodial environments
- Meet the care needs of those in custody
- Promote effective participation in offender programs
These correctional centres are divided into 4 types. Note: Some centres cover more than one type of security classification
- New inmates go through a Reception, Screening and Induction Program to identify their immediate needs and issues such as risk of suicide, mental illness and drug and alcohol withdrawal.
- Maximum security correctional centres hold inmates whose escape would be highly dangerous to members of the public or the security of the State.
- Medium security correctional centres are normally surrounded by walls or high security fences, but inmates move around inside more freely than in maximum security.
- Minimum security correctional centres hold inmates who can be trusted in open conditions where there are fewer physical barriers to escape.
- CSNSW iPhone App